Adding Events to Google Calendar
This page describes the process for adding an event to the Knox Makers Google calendar. It assumes you are logged into a Knox Makers account with permissions to edit the calendar.
Accessing the Calendar
- From your Gmail inbox, click on the Google apps icon in the upper right corner of your screen. It currently resembles a grid of boxes.
- Select "Calendar" from the list of apps.
- This should take you to your calendar. By default, the left bar has a section labeled "My calendars" and a section listed "Other Calendars". If the Knox Makers calendar is listed, then you have the calendar added in your account, and you should be able to edit it. You may skip the following section, and go directly to "Modifying the Calendar". If you do not have it added to your account, follow the steps in the next section.
Adding the Knox Makers calendar to your list of calendars
- Click the drop down arrow to the right of "Other Calendars". Select the option labeled "Add by URL".
- Paste in the following URL: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/knoxmakers.org_nh1g8l4r4ca2ho0j3aiifq0p0g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Click the "Add Calendar" button to add the calendar to your other calendars.
Adding an event to the Knox Makers calendar
- Begin by browsing the calendar to the date and time for the event you wish to add.
- By default, Google brings up a quick event dialog box. This dialog box does not provide sufficient options, so click "Edit event >>" to bring up more options.
- The event creation page adds several more details. At the the top is the event title. By default, the event is called "Untitled event". Highlight this text and replace it with the title of the event.
- Below the title are boxes for the start date and start time, and end date and end time. Enter the appropriate starting and ending dates and times for the event. If there are no boxes for times, the check box for "All day" has been selected. Uncheck the "All day" button and enter the times.
- For location, enter the event location. Most events will be located at the Knox Makers shop. The current address is 116 Childress Street, Knoxville, TN 37920
- The next option is to add a video call to the event. This is a feature that we currently do not use. If one is added, click the "Remove Call" button.
- The next drop down is labeled "Calendar". This item is very important. By default, Google selects your personal calendar, to make a reminder that's only visible to you. You must select "Knox Makers" from the drop down menu to create an event that will be visible to everyone using the Knox Makers calendar. If the option for "Knox Makers" isn't available in your list, see the above section for adding it to your list of calendars.
- The description field is the section where we provide text describing the event. This text is usually generated by the presenter.
- No attachments are added to the events.
- Default settings for Event Color, Notifications, and Visibility are used.
- Double check that all the items are entered correctly, and correct any errors. Once satisfied with the entries, click the large red "Save" button at the top.
- To confirm that the event was added correctly, navigate to https://knoxmakers.org/Calendar and check to see if the event shows up on the correct day and time.